Sign in to follow this  
Blackhawk375

Heaven

Heaven

4K Christian Gaming Devotional 9/9/2019

7Dlk9X7NCBKL8kyRrtJDe5vYKdZ1hiVXJqB5BGP7QsNWOmbfSQlnWsytsp9Ecu34Wl6au-H1rp94Xryq7r3dXF4S78vp77GjPAIiGlFq6E6qgjGgkZbl0OZ2Qy_wxQPKYHeJS6JJ

nyPPv4jSWwqKQilN2aXvsx-jxWMlCVdGjXvT9Gp4fEm2F-9YZilrnMWjpe4WcmLjM5dFelX-55lxFVbOqxLGoVbbDuDDn6W8Bau226_p44pqjFC2hhaky8ltpTa0BZxqMPuvlgKn

We get a few glimpses of heaven in the Scriptures from the prophets Isaiah and Ezekiel, as well as the Apostle John.  The best view that they give us is that of the throne room of Almighty God. What a picture it is! There are things going on in this room that are beyond comprehension, but yet God felt it important to give us these examples.  I think it is important that we take notice and really take account of just how great and powerful our Father truly is. 

Revelation 4:1-11 (ESV)
1  After this I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven! And the first voice, which I had heard speaking to me like a trumpet, said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”
2  At once I was in the Spirit, and behold, a throne stood in heaven, with one seated on the throne.
3  And he who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian, and around the throne was a rainbow that had the appearance of an emerald.
4  Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and seated on the thrones were twenty-four elders, clothed in white garments, with golden crowns on their heads.
5  From the throne came flashes of lightning, and rumblings and peals of thunder, and before the throne were burning seven torches of fire, which are the seven spirits of God,
6  and before the throne there was as it were a sea of glass, like crystal. And around the throne, on each side of the throne, are four living creatures, full of eyes in front and behind:
7  the first living creature like a lion, the second living creature like an ox, the third living creature with the face of a man, and the fourth living creature like an eagle in flight.
8  And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say, “Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!”
9  And whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to him who is seated on the throne, who lives forever and ever,
10  the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
11  “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”

There was a time in my life when I really struggled with prayer and maintaining a devotional attitude towards it.  It was at this time that God chose to elevate the importance of these men’s views of heaven into my own view of Him.  I began to focus on the images that we are given as I would begin to approach Him with my prayers. What a humbling time and experience this was for me.  To think of His majesty and glory as it is described makes it very hard to not cower in His presence and humbly approach His throne. The amazing truth that we are invited to do this and encouraged to make it a regular practice.  This is similar to the transition John experienced in the beginning of Revelation when he first saw the Glorified Christ. He fell down as if he were dead as he was completely overwhelmed. It was at that point that Jesus told him to not be afraid.  Visualizing this image of heaven and the throne room of God gave me exactly what I needed to jump start my prayer life and time of devotion to Him.

We aren’t told much about heaven in the Scriptures, but we are given some great pictures of what it will be like.  Heaven should not be our goal, God’s glory should always occupy that role. What we know about heaven can certainly be used as a tool in our lives now as we look forward to one day spending all of eternity there with the rest of the saints and especially the Triune God Himself.

For those interested, here are the specific references from Isaiah, Ezekiel, and John in Revelation that I referenced in the devo:

Isaiah 6:1-5 (ESV)
1  In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple.
2  Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.
3  And one called to another and said: “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!”
4  And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke.
5  And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!”

Ezekiel 1:4-14 (ESV)
4  As I looked, behold, a stormy wind came out of the north, and a great cloud, with brightness around it, and fire flashing forth continually, and in the midst of the fire, as it were gleaming metal.
5  And from the midst of it came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance: they had a human likeness,
6  but each had four faces, and each of them had four wings.
7  Their legs were straight, and the soles of their feet were like the sole of a calf’s foot. And they sparkled like burnished bronze.
8  Under their wings on their four sides they had human hands. And the four had their faces and their wings thus:
9  their wings touched one another. Each one of them went straight forward, without turning as they went.
10  As for the likeness of their faces, each had a human face. The four had the face of a lion on the right side, the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and the four had the face of an eagle.
11  Such were their faces. And their wings were spread out above. Each creature had two wings, each of which touched the wing of another, while two covered their bodies.
12  And each went straight forward. Wherever the spirit would go, they went, without turning as they went.
13  As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, like the appearance of torches moving to and fro among the living creatures. And the fire was bright, and out of the fire went forth lightning.
14  And the living creatures darted to and fro, like the appearance of a flash of lightning.

Revelation 4:1-11 (ESV)
1  After this I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven! And the first voice, which I had heard speaking to me like a trumpet, said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”
2  At once I was in the Spirit, and behold, a throne stood in heaven, with one seated on the throne.
3  And he who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian, and around the throne was a rainbow that had the appearance of an emerald.
4  Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and seated on the thrones were twenty-four elders, clothed in white garments, with golden crowns on their heads.
5  From the throne came flashes of lightning, and rumblings and peals of thunder, and before the throne were burning seven torches of fire, which are the seven spirits of God,
6  and before the throne there was as it were a sea of glass, like crystal. And around the throne, on each side of the throne, are four living creatures, full of eyes in front and behind:
7  the first living creature like a lion, the second living creature like an ox, the third living creature with the face of a man, and the fourth living creature like an eagle in flight.
8  And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say, “Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!”
9  And whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to him who is seated on the throne, who lives forever and ever,
10  the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
11  “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”

This one as well...

Revelation 1:12-20 (ESV)
12  Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands,
13  and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest.
14  The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire,
15  his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters.
16  In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength.
17  When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last,
18  and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.
19  Write therefore the things that you have seen, those that are and those that are to take place after this.
20  As for the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand, and the seven golden lampstands, the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

It's great that you mentioned God's Glory should always be the goal, not heaven. I think that goal is often forgotten about, especially when talking about Christ with new believers. 

4 hours ago, Gigloft said:

It's great that you mentioned God's Glory should always be the goal, not heaven. I think that goal is often forgotten about, especially when talking about Christ with new believers. 

One of my favorite sermons of all time relates to this... 10 shekels and a shirt by Paris Reidhead.  I love the old school guys and I would highly encourage anyone to listen to this wonderful and passionate sermon about the differences between our desires and His desires.  It's all about HIM!

https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=10180222445

I would also be doing a disservice if I failed to mention how I came upon this great sermon in the first place... it was after hearing a portion of it in the "Revival Hymn" that a friend shared with me so many years ago.  I would also recommend taking the 30 minutes or so to watch it: